Saturday, January 7, 2017

COCONUT OIL QUICK TIP

Everybody is excited about using coconut oil these days and I have to say, for all of my reservations, it has made a big difference to my problem child, LUKA, in terms of his skin and ears.

LUKA - Giant Schnauzer x Standard Poodle - aka the Medical Misfit

He is allergic to the air itself it seems some days - and this year he lost most of his hair from his shoulder blades back and has constant problems with his ears. 

That is wrinkly skin not his ribs in the bottom picture - LOL

One day I found a large jar of Butcher Boys Coconut Oil at Big Lots (60oz for $7.50 or 1 gallon for $12.99) and thought it couldn't hurt.


But with the colder weather and my weak hands - fighting it out of the jar has not been fun. Then I saw a post a friend made about putting it into silicone molds or silicone bottomed ice cube trays - GENIUS.  I had a spare mold lying around so I thought I would give it a try.  I melted some oil in the microwave (just to the point of melting) and got my mold out.


The recommended daily dosage is 1 tablespoon/ 30lbs and I discovered the molds hold 1 tablespoon per indention - AWESOME - the boys would get 2 each a day.  Just pour the rewarmed liquid into the mold.

You can add oils if you like as coconut oil is a great carrier oil.  Since both of my boys are 70-75lbs, I use 2 drops in each indention.

PEPPERMINT or GINGER - good for tummy upset / car sickness
LAVENDER or VALERIAN - good for mild anxiety or sleep issues
SWEET ORANGE or  CEDARWOOD - good flea repellent support

I have recently found that Helichrysum and Niaouli are good for allergies and skin issues so that is my next to try for Luka.



Then just put it in the fridge to resolidify and you're done.  I can now add one to their meals with no problem!  In just over two weeks - his coat has improved dramatically!



No comments:

Post a Comment