Tuesday, January 17, 2017

TARGETING - WHAT IS A TARGET STICK? (PART 1 of 3)


Target sticks are a tool that many trainers use - and not just for dogs.   Horses, cats, birds, dolphins, seals and even fish can be taught with a target stick.

SO WHAT IS IT?
For this purpose of this discussion - I am referencing a stick of some sort that has a distinctive end which you want your dog to touch with their nose.  They come in extendable varieties, some with clickers built in and can even be made from something as simple as a chopstick and styrofoam ball.  Or heck, you can just use a wooden spoon.

Here are just a few of the ones I have stored up - a plastic children's baton, a bit of wooden dowel with chair leg caps on it and a teachers toy I found one year at Target.


I have used (and really like) Terry Ryan's Clik Stik with the built in clicker but they are pricey (ranging from $14-$25 depending on where you find them) so I started looking for other options.


My new target sticks arrived last week and I really like their potential. They have a nice sized foam handle - especially good for kids or people with difficulty in their hands and they extend out to 4 feet.

The tip is small but if someone wants to start with a larger size ball on the end and then decrease the size - I use styrofoam craft balls for that.


Dogs haven't minded touching the styrofoam but the texture seems to keep young ones (or mouthy older pups) from trying to bite them. [Of course, use common safety means when working with pups and styrofoam.]  I have these for sale for $6 (plus shipping if I can't deliver to you)

I have another type coming with clickers built into the handle (similar in idea to the Click Stik but very different in design) so we'll see how they compare.  They look good...I have only ordered 3 to start and once they arrive (if they are good quality) I will have them for $12 (plus shipping if I can't deliver)

**I really need to get some product reviews underway for these new items coming in**

Have you ever used a target stick?  What behaviors did you teach with it? Comment below to share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment